Thursday, June 07, 2007

FIRST THINGS FIRST: God’s Priorities Are Not Necessarily Mine!

TOPIC: Jesus
TITLE: FIRST THINGS FIRST – God’s Priorities Are Not Necessarily Mine!
SERIES: Jesus – His Person and His Works

TEXT:
Isaiah 41:14
“Do not fear, you worm Jacob, you men of Israel; I will help you,” declares the LORD, “and your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel.”
This morning, as we continue to look at the person and the works of Jesus, let’s hear the Lord Jesus speak to us, both individually and corporately. Jehovah has said to Jacob (aka: Israel), “I will help you.”

However, let’s notice God’s opinion concerning those He “will help.” He addresses them and says, “you worm.” He sees them not only as of nature but in nature.

He sees them as the smallest of creatures, slimy and slithering. They are useful, but not to themselves; they are garbage eaters and soil turners, walked upon, eaten by scavengers. And yet he says, “Jacob.” Is this Jacob of Hebrews 11:22? Doesn't this tell you His inner feelings for this worm?

Now (far more than ought to be necessary), we’ve taught that Jesus is Jehovah God; when we speak of Jesus, we speak of God in the flesh [John 1:1, 14]. And we know that we are the objects of God’s promises to Israel, since their promises are now in Christ, to His Bride, the Church.

The point is if He promised help to Israel, He will also help believers, and in the same way, since He is immutable (unchanging).

There have been times in my daily walk when I wonder where God is and (if He indeed is never to forsake me or depart from me) why is He not at that moment busy meeting my every need?

When I do this, Jesus says, “Do you not understand that it is a small thing for me, your Creator, to help you. Yet, in spite of this you continue to suggest I am not helping you?”

Jesus says, “Consider for a moment what I’ve already done. Did I not ransom you with My blood? What, that is somehow not enough and you still wonder if I will help you in your time of need?”

Jesus says, “Did I not die for you, even while you were yet in your sin; and if I’ve done this great thing, won’t I do the lesser things?”

He says, “I am the Lord your God, and that which I have done for you is a small feat. I’ve done greater, and will do even more.”
  • “Do you not know, before the world began, I chose you and made My covenant with you?”
  • “Do you not know, I set aside My divine glory and took on flesh for you?”
  • “Do you not know, I freely gave My life for you. If I have done all this, will I not help you now?”
  • “Do you not realize, if you were to need a thousand times as much help, that I would give it to you?”
  • “Do you not comprehend, you require little compared with what I have already given and that I am ready to give even more?”
“Or what man is there among you, when his son shall ask him for a loaf, will give him a stone? Or if he shall ask for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!”
Matthew 7:9-11
APPLICATION/CHALLENGE: There is much for us to need, but it is nothing for God to give it all. He told Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you."

Jesus says, “What, still you think I might not help you?” Child of God, consider ...
  • Can you use more strength than the omnipotence of the Triune Godhead?
  • Do you truly desire greater wisdom than already exists in you in the Father?
  • Do you wish for more love than has been displayed by the Son?
  • Do you desire more power than that manifested by the Holy Spirit?
  • Is your thirst for more than that provided by the Water of Life?
  • Is your hunger for truth not satisfied by the Bread of Life?
  • Is not the Door that leads to eternal life greater than the door of opportu-nity?
  • Is the Way of Christ not the only way?
Jesus says, “Bring your empty vessel! Surely, My Living Water shall fill it; you shall never again thirst”

“Hurry!” He says, “Bring your wants to Me – your emptiness, your woes, your deficiencies. My River is equal to your need. What else can you possibly desire?”

He says, “Go child, in your greatest need. I Am is your helper!”

“Fear not!” He comforts. “I am is with you. And I am is your God and I Am will give you help."
“Do not fear or be dismayed,” [Deuteronomy 1:21] brothers and sisters!

[be] content with what you have; for He Himself has said, ‘I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,’ so that we confidently say, ‘THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT SHALL MAN DO TO ME?’” [Hebrews 13:5, 6]
[MOUSE] If a mouse sought nourishment at the door of an overflowing Nebraska silo, the company could not in a thousand years ruin its finances if it gave the mouse a handful of corn each day. You are nothing but a tiny worm at the door of God’s all-sufficient grace, mercy, and love. And out of this sufficiency, Jesus has said, “I will help you.”

Morning & Evening

 
, , , , ,